Forgot your password?

Back to login

Case of dead Kuwaiti student opens in Sharjah
January 23, 2014, 11:41 am

The trial of two suspects facing charges of torturing a Kuwaiti student to death opened on Wednesday at Sharjah Sharia Court.

Mubarak, 19, died at the University City Hospital in Sharjah on February 24, 2013, following several days of physical abuse, said police.

Rashid Al Omrani, attorney-general of Sharjah Prosecution, told Gulf News earlier this month. “According to our investigations, we are submitting three charges on the suspects to the criminal court: deprivation of the victim’s freedom, torture and premeditated murder.”

Lawyers and relatives of the victim, Mubarak Mash’al Mubark, met with the judge during a closed session for almost 15 minutes to discuss sensitive issues. The hearing was postponed until February 18.

The victim’s father, 45, his mother in her late 30s, his aunt and two uncles attended as well as the suspects’ family members and their lawyers.

The two suspects in the case, Shaikh Y.H.S., a member of the Kuwaiti royal family and H.A., 18, are being held at Sharjah’s Central Prison. The third suspect, who is being hunted by Interpol, faces charges in absentia of covering up the crime and failing to report it to authorities.

Lawyer Salem Obaid Bin Sahoo is representing the victim’s family.

Lawyers for the accused have asked the judge to summon witnesses in the case, including the man who filmed the video, staff at the emergency section of University City Hospital in Sharjah in addition to university cafeteria staff where the victim collapsed, Bin Sahoo said.

He said the victim’s family had told him they wanted those responsible for their son’s death to be given the death sentence.

“Two suspects confessed to their crime before the court and they said that they tortured the victim for three days for allegedly harassing one of their female relatives,” official sources conducting the investigation told Gulf News.

It is understood that Mubarak was accused of harassing the sister of one of the three suspects and borrowed Dh100,000 from one of the suspects. Authorities indicated this explained why Mubarak maintained his silence despite four days of torture and did not report the matter to police.

The victim’s mother, a maths teacher identified as Z, told Gulf News that her son was loved by everyone and he was known for “his joyful spirit.”

“This was the first time he had left us, he went to the UAE to complete his studies,” she said.

She said initially they were not sure the deceased was their son as there was some confusion surrounding his name.


Share your views

"It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed."

"Envy comes from wanting something that isn't yours. But grief comes from losing something you've already had."

Photo Gallery