Forgot your password?

Back to login

Five held in killing of Indian guards
May 4, 2014, 9:15 am

Criminal investigation detectives Friday morning arrested five suspects in connection with the recent armed robbery incident that took place in the Vegetable Market at Sulaibiya a week ago, in which two Indian guards working for a money transportation company. Security sources said Director of the Criminal Investigation Department Major General Mahmoud Al-Tabbakh was tippedoff about a suspicious group of people inside a house at Sulaibiya who were in possession of firearms.

Acting on information, the gang was placed under intensive surveillance by a special unit which had been formed to bring the armed robbery suspects to book. The unit managed to identify five members of the gang, consisting of two Gulf nationals and three Bedouns who have past criminal records for firing at police officers and narcotic related offenses. Sources said one of the suspects started firing at the detectives as they surrounded the house where the suspects were hiding, sparking a gun battle with the detectives until the suspects ran out of ammo. The detectives then raided the house and managed to arrest the five-member gang.

Also, they found a quarter kilo of hashish, assault rifle and ammo, pointing out that one of the suspects was arrested as he tried to disguise in women clothes to escape in the company of his family after the security personnel ordered the owner of the house to come out in order to search the residence. Sources affirmed that a car belonging to one of the suspects was found in front of the house with number plate belonging to a different car. The suspects will be referred with the items to the Public Prosecution on Sunday after the investigation is complete.

The two Asian workers assigned in the bullion van of a money transportation company died when armed robbers attacked them and took possession of a bag containing KD 13,000 — sales from the Vegetable Market in Kabad.

Sources said the robbers did not touch KD 200,000 and the driver of the van. One of the victims, an Indian identified as Valiya died on the spot, and his 25-year old compatriot, identified as Seyyid Abu, succumbed to his wounds shortly after arrival at Farwaniya Hospital. Their remains were referred to Forensics and have since been repatriated to India for burial.

According to eye-witnesses, the rescue officers and paramedics rushed to the scene after security operatives at the Operations Room received a distress call about the episode. Initial investigations revealed the robbers — two masked men, fired at the workers who were putting the money into the van.

Share your views

"It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed."

"Envy comes from wanting something that isn't yours. But grief comes from losing something you've already had."

Photo Gallery