Forgot your password?

Back to login

Indian Embassy announces Govt. Scheme to help Indian women deserted by their overseas Indian/foreigner husbands
August 7, 2016, 4:38 pm

The Indian Embassy announced the Government of India scheme that is available to Indian women who have been deserted by their overseas Indian/foreigner husbands or are facing divorce proceedings in a foreign country, subject to the following conditions:-

(i)         The woman is an Indian passport holder.

(ii)        The marriage of the woman has been solemnized in India or  overseas with an overseas Indian or a foreigner.

(iii)       The woman is deserted in India or overseas within fifteen years of the marriage.

(iv)       Divorce proceedings are initiated within fifteen years of the marriage by her overseas Indian/foreigner husband.

(v)        An ex-parte divorce has been obtained by the overseas Indian/foreigner husband within twenty years of marriage and a case for maintenance and alimony is to be filed by her.

(vi)       The scheme would not be available to a woman having a criminal case decided against her, provided that a criminal charge of Parental Child Abduction shall not be a bar if the custody of the child has not yet been adjudicated upon.

(vii)  The domicile of the Indian woman seeking relief under the Scheme is not relevant for allowing the benefit. The woman may be domiciled in the country of her overseas Indian/foreigner husband or in India at the time of making the application.

  All concerned who come under the above categories can approach the Community Welfare section of Indian Embassy during office hours or can e-mail their complains to or for redressal of their grievances. 

Share your views

"It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed."

"Envy comes from wanting something that isn't yours. But grief comes from losing something you've already had."

Photo Gallery